Keeping your kids health in check this Child Health Month! - Medshield

COVID-19 Online Resource & News Portal - Emergency Hotline: 0800 029 999 - WhatsApp Support Line: 0600-123456

  086 000 2120
...

Medshield Articles

Interesting articles about the Medical Aid industry and Medshield position in it

Read More

Keeping your kids health in check this Child Health Month!

Posted in Medshield Wellness   |   August 25th, 2020

As lockdown restrictions ease, many of us are focused on self-betterment, whether breaking bad habits or starting healthy ones. Parents are also responsible for the betterment of our children.

Here are seven things you can do to keep your kids healthy and happy:

1. Make Sure They Get Enough Sleep
Sleep is important for the whole family since it helps set our metabolism and resets our mood. Getting enough sleep is especially important for kids because it helps them grow. According to pediatricians, if you are having trouble putting your kids to bed at night, emphasize that they will grow well when they sleep. “If your kids know that they grow when they sleep, they will put themselves to bed.

2. Use the 80-20 Rule for Healthy Eating
It’s important for parents to recognize that they will not be able to control 100 percent of what their child eats. Don’t make perfect the enemy of good! 80 percent of the time, you try to do the best that you can. And then the other 20 percent of the time, you have to have the grace and flexibility to live in the real world, to know that these kids go to birthday parties. They’re going to get stuff at school, and to be able to roll with that.

3. Explain Why Healthy Eating is Important
Instead of telling children to eat healthy foods, explain to them why it is important. If they know that certain foods will make them taller and stronger, or make their hair shinier, they will want to eat them. Kids’ relationship with food gets increasingly complicated as they get older.

If you start when they’re very young by teaching them that food is about growing healthfully and having energy to get through the day and fueling their brain, then you’re teaching them everything they need to know for the rest of their life.

4. Create Fun Opportunities for Exercise
Exercise is important for bone and muscle health, for creating positive emotions, alleviating stress and preventing diseases later in life. Most kids need about an hour of exercise each day. For kids dealing with control or focus issues (ADD, ADHD, or OCD), involve them in martial arts or ballet because you get the benefit of the exercise, plus the focus and training for the attention system.

5. Teach Them to Hydrate
Our brains are 80 percent water, so hydration is extremely important, especially for growing little ones. A great way to teach your kids to stay hydrated is to have them look at their pee. Being hydrated means drinking enough so that your pee looks like water. Look at your pee, if it’s really yellow, go get a glass of water.

6. Open Your Windows
The air we breathe can have a profound effect on our mood and cognitive abilities, so it is important to keep it clean. Sometimes the air in our homes can be even more polluted than the air outside. We recommends opening windows, using fans and vents, and having indoor plants in the home to help clean and circulate the air.

7. Limit Their Sugar Intake
Finally, if you want to prevent your kids from getting sick, try to minimize the amount of sugar in their diet. Sugar interferes with the body’s immune system by binding up the antibodies that the immune system needs to fight viruses. A kid who’s eating a high sugar diet is going to get sick more often.

Source Credit : Health24

Image Credit : 123rf

DISCLAIMER: The information on this blog post is for educational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you are experiencing symptoms or need health advice, please consult a healthcare professional.

September 29, 2021

Medshield and Elevate Competition Terms and Conditions

Read Article

August 13, 2021

#WeThrive Women’s Month Competition

Read Article

July 17, 2021

Eye Health and Tips

Read Article

June 18, 2021

How to look after your Mental Health

Read Article

June 1, 2021

Men’s Health Month

Read Article

May 17, 2021

Hypertension: All you need to know

Read Article